- by Malinda Lo
- Publisher: Penguin Random House
- Publication Date: January 19, 2021
- Genre: YA Historical Fiction/Romance/Coming-of-Age
- Reading age: 14- up
- Grade level: 9- up
Listen to a Sample
This is a really well-researched novel from a rare POV, first generation Chinese American and immigrant families living in Chinatown during the ’50’s. The narration does an amazing job of illustrating the male gaze, and especially how it effects Asians without being preachy at all. The novel shares two different timelines with different coming-of-age experiences that really play well off each other.
Again, very well-researched. I think this book could withstand several readings to glean more.
I was given an early release copy of this book from the publisher on #Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This book has an estimated publication date of Jan. 19, 2021.
From the Author
- “History of San Francisco’s Chinatown“ from the History Channel
- Discussion Guide
- Kirkus Review of Last Night at the Telegraph Club
- “The Story of Chinatown” from PBS